What is Robotic Process Automation?
Often called bots or digital assistants, Robotic Process Automation (RPA) software performs repetitive or redundant computer tasks normally done by people. RPA can dramatically improve the quality, security, and speed of service for Veterans at VA while also improving employee satisfaction by allowing VA employees to focus on more important tasks.
RPA offers enhanced data security by reducing errors and only allowing bots to interact with data and systems in defined and controlled ways. Digital assistants are ready to help VA provide better and faster service to Veterans and their families.
An example of RPA in action
Automations can quickly and accurately perform routine tasks that take valuable time away from VA employees, allowing them to focus on more critical tasks, such as direct patient care.
1. Monitors provider referral queue
2. Opens new referral
3. Scans PDF for key information
4. Enters referral into the HealthShare Referral Manager
5. Assigns referral to designated provider
The VA RPA Platform Center of Excellence
The VA RPA Platform serves as a launchpad for RPA at VA. It streamlines the process of planning, building, funding, securing, authorizing, and maintaining bots. The RPA Platform’s detailed roadmap helps VA create reliable, secure digital assistants that lighten the workload for employees and help them provide a higher level of service for those who have “borne the battle.”
To help VA leverage RPA technology, the VA RPA Platform Center of Excellence
- has authorization to deploy bots built with multiple RPA software solutions.
- ensures strong and consistent security practices.
- helps subsequent automations become cheaper and faster, since their programming can be reused.
- streamlines RPA project evaluation, intake, and execution using industry best-practices.
- connects VA business units with qualified RPA System Integrators to ensure secure, high-quality development.
How can bots assist VA?
There are many opportunities for digital assistants to improve the level of service for Veterans. For instance, they can perform the following tasks:
- review medical specialist referrals and ensure they meet pre-care requirements.
- dramatically reduce the number of required forms to fill out.
- schedule follow-up appointments based on conditions.
- process claims that meet defined requirements.
- ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- determine eligibility for services from local health care providers